Prof. Junseok Kim
Tel : 3290-3077
10:30 TT, 532
Anytime with appointment
Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems,
9th Edition, by W.E. Boyce and R.C. DiPrima, John Wiley & Sons, 2009,
Description of course
This course is a study of differential equations: Topics include the solution of first and second order differential equations, homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equations, initial value problems, systems of linear differential equations, series solutions, numerical methods, Laplace transforms.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
1. Solve any first order differential equation.
2. Demonstrate variable separable, homogeneous, exact, linear, Bernoulli linear and Ricatti linear differential equations.
3. Solve second order differential equations with constant coefficients and complementary and particular solutions.
4. Apply the methods of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters and reduction of order.
5. Apply second order differential equations to springs and electrical circuits.
6. Solve differential equations using power series, Froebenius series, Bessel functions, Gamma functions, Laplace transforms and the Heaviside (unit step) function.
7. Set up systems of linear differential equations using characteristic equations.
8. Use the Wronskian determinant to test for linear independence or linear dependence.
Homework problems will be assigned daily in class.
Grades will be determined exclusively from homework, midterm, and final exam scores.
Midterm Examination 100 possible pts.
Homework and Quizes 100 possible pts.
Final Examination 100 possible pts.